This lentil and spiced sweet potato bowl is a perfect make-ahead meal. Keep reading to grab the recipe!
I think these salad type bowls are also called nourish bowls. Basically, a bowl where you throw a bunch of nice ingredients together. You could really use anything for these. I love making these kinds of meals because you can make a lot in advance and then you don’t have to think about preparing lunch or dinner for at least a day or two. It’s versatile as well, you can pop this into a wrap too if you’d fancy. I definitely recommend making my hummus recipe to top this off.
I love a good sweet potato. They’re filling, sweet, they caramelise lovely in the oven. Paired with a plant protein like lentils you have a great base for a meal. So satisfying and full of goodness. I always think a bit of spice goes well with a sweet potato to complement the sweetness.
Combining textures is equally as important as flavours. That’s why it’s so delicious to add a bit of crunch from the nuts and the radishes. I also love something pickled or fermented. I don’t really follow any recipe when I make a fermented vegetable. Here’s one you can check out. When you have a lot of one type of vegetable, say cabbage or carrots, or even radishes or cucumber, it’s a wonderful way of preserving them. Either by pickling (takes less time) or fermenting (takes a bit more time before the tang hits).
As for the greens, I used a mix of lettuce and spinach, mostly because that’s what I had in the fridge. I always like combining two or more types of greens, they have all of those lovely minerals in them that are good for us.
Make my lentil & spiced sweet potato bowl today.
Lentil & Spiced Sweet Potato Bowl
- 2 sweet potatoes, medium size
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp cumin
- chili flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 jar lentils (400 grams)
- 1 tbsp miso
- 1 tbsp water
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- chili flakes
- handful of lettuce
- handful of spinach
- ½ lemon
- 6 radishes
- 4 tbsp hummus
- 4 tbsp crushed nuts
- preheat oven to 180 C( 350 F)
- peel and cube the sweet potato. add the seasoning and olive oil.
- spread out onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper
- bake for 30 minutes.
- rinse and drain the lentils
- in a small bowl or cup mix the miso with water and brown sugar. add to the lentils. stir.
- clean lettuce and spinach as needed and add to a bowl.
- add the sweet potato, lentils, some radishes, a dollop of hummus, some nuts, a bit of olive oil.
- optional: add something fermented like kimchi, or a pickle.
[…] need to fit this lentil and spiced sweet potato bowl into our meal […]