This tofu bowl with sesame vinaigrette is a lovely, filling dish. Read on for the recipe!
Tofu Bowl & Sesame Vinaigrette
This tofu bowl is filled with delicious goodness. Rice, mixed greens, avocado, and roasted vegetables! It’s easy to put together too, once you pop the veggies in the oven you can move onto the other ingredients. As for the rice, you can choose whatever you rice you fancy. I like serving this with brown rice, the nutty flavour goes well with the sesame oil.
As for the vegetables, it’s a simple combination of aubergine, red pepper, onion, mushrooms. A couple of herbs and spices and in to the oven they go!
When it comes to rice I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Wash your rice and use an appropriate amount of water. No pouring out the water after cooking. It’ll leave you with delicious, fluffy rice. Plus, when you add a few nice flavours to the cooking water, they’re actually absorbed by the rice. I like adding a bay leaf and some oil.
At first I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to call this a vinaigrette. But, turns out I can. Since a vinaigrette is mixing oil with something acidic. So, sesame vinaigrette it is!
The ingredients for this vinaigrette might not be stuff you have in the cupboard. If you can, I’d say go and buy them from the Asian supermarket. Seriously delicious stuff. If you don’t want to spend much or cannot be bothered to go to the shop, you can use a few subs. It’s not going to taste exactly the same but similar. For the soy bean paste you can sub miso paste. For the ponzu (citrus soy sauce) you can use regular soy sauce and some lemon juice.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Be sure to tag me in any pictures or use #ohsoplantiful on Instagram or Facebook.
Looking for more delicious recipes? How about this quinoa bowl with miso glazed sweet potato?
Tofu Bowl with Sesame Vinaigrette
- 1 aubergine
- 1 red pepper
- 4 large mushrooms use 8 small ones if you have those.
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp korean soy bean paste sub miso
- 1 tsp ponzu sub soy sauce and lemon juice
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 lime
- 1 knob of ginger, 2 cmx2cm-ish, grated
- 300 grams rice 1 large cup
- 1 ½ - 2 x the amount of water to rice ratio
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 300 grams tofu
- 1 tbsp potato starch
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 4 handfuls mixed greens
- 1 spring onion
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- preheat the oven to 180 °C , 350 °F.
- cut all the vegetables and place in a bowl. add the spices and olive oil, mix well, and place on a lined baking sheet.
- place in the oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
- wash your rice and cook according to instructions.
- coat the tofu in potato starch. sear on both sides in a hot skillet. add a sprinkle of salt.
- for the vinaigrette, mix all the ingredients well.
- in a bowl, combine the rice, greens, vegetables, tofu, avocado, spring onion, and top with the vinaigrette and sesame seeds.
Leave a Reply