This Vegan Sicilian Bean Salad is perfect in so many ways.
More than a salad. More than a vegan salad.
To call this vegan Sicilian bean salad a salad might be misleading. At least for those people who still think salads are sad, drab meals that are dry and never have enough dressing on them. This dish has it all: potatoes, butter beans, green beans, olives and capers, red onion. And enough dressing, bless.
I don’t tend to focus too much on nutrition specifically as I like my food to be about enjoyment and freedom. But of course I also enjoy making sure I get a lot of nutritious meals in my body. This one has great carbs, vegan protein, minerals and vitamins, and fats. What’s not to like?
Sicilian Bean Salad
Let me also preface this recipe by saying that I’ve always known this recipe to be Sicilian, but if you’re Sicilian and are like “what the hell”, then apologies.
My mum used to make this recipe for years when I was younger. It was a slightly altered version, with no chimichurri aioli and the potatoes were simply boiled. Now, I love a potato in every way they come but when I can choose for roasted potato, I will. I recommend making sure you chop the potatoes into relatively small cubes if you want them to cook quickly. The larger the cube, the longer the wait.
The recipe for my aioli you can find here. A chimichurri spice blend should be available at your supermarket. If not, usually it’s a mix of oregano, parsley, basil, thyme, paprika, salt, garlic, pepper, and crushed chillies.
Did you enjoy this vegan Sicilian bean salad? Leave me a comment or message, I love reading them! And if you’re into Italian style meals, you’ll love this easy pasta recipe.
Make sure you also check out my YouTube video on this recipe.
Vegan Sicilian Bean Salad
- Medium sized pot
- 4 medium/large potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 200 grams mixed lettuce
- 150 grams green beans haricot verts
- 250 grams butter beans cooked
- 75 grams green olives, pitted and in slices
- 75 grams black olives, pitted and in slices
- 50 grams capers
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 50 grams flat leaf parsley (small handful)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp vinegar, i used balsamic
- 1 tbsp agave or brown sugar
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp vegan aioli (with chimichurri spices) check out my aioli recipe linked in the text!
- Start by preheating the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Cube the potatoes, rinse in cold water and dry, spread out on a baking sheet, drizzle in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Pop potatoes into the oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and tender when you stick a fork in them.
- Rinse the green beans, add to a pot of cold water, add salt, and bring to a boil. Cook al dente.
- Slice the olives. Rinse the butter beans. Cut the red onion. Prepare the parsley.
- In a bowl, combine the mustard, sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper and give a good whisk. Then add in the oil whilst stirring and incorporate well. Give it a taste and adjust accordingly.
- In a large salad bowl, mix the greens, add in the olives, capers, red onion, butter beans, green beans.
- Get your vegan aioli ready with the chimichurri spices.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, add to the salad.
- Dress with the vinaigrette and drizzle over the aioli.
- Top with parsley and enjoy!
Leave a Reply